Magnetic Island Scenic Flight & Sailing
MAGNETIC ISLAND SCENIC FLIGHT & SAILING
Departing Townsville, enjoy an exhilarating scenic flight followed by a luxurious small group sailing experience showcasing spectacular Magnetic Island.
Your flight departs over Townsville’s waterfront and picturesque Cleveland Bay before taking in the pristine beaches, turquoise waters and fringing reefs that surround this laid back island paradise.
Referred to simply as “Maggie” by the islands 2500 local residents (or “Yunbenun” by the traditional Wulgarukaba people) it’s 40km of coastline has no less than 23 beautiful beaches and secluded bays, some only accessible by foot or boat, but all clearly visible from the air!
Just 300m offshore at Cockle Bay is the famous wreck of the “City of Adelaide” which ran aground here in 1916. One of 20 shipwrecks dotted around the island she provides a great photo opportunity at low tide with mangroves clinging to her rusting hull.
More than 2/3rds of Magnetic Islands 52km2 land mass is National Park featuring enormous granite boulders (some the size of a car), towering Hoop Pine forest and open Eucalypt Woodland reaching its highest point nearly 500m above sea level at the summit of Mount Cook.
The island is also situated in the pristine waters of the World Heritage Listed Great Barrier Reef Marine Park and home to a myriad of aquatic life.
Many larger marine species are often best seen from the air. Inflight sightings have included Sea Turtles, Sharks, Manta Rays, Dolphins and even majestic Humpback Whales (Jul-Sep) during their annual migration from Antarctica, stopping by briefly to give birth and raise their calves in these warm tropical waters.
On touchdown at Magnetic Island, join the team at Pilgrim Sailing for a cruise to one of the islands many secluded bays. While at anchor enjoy time to swim, take a tender ride to shore, relax on the giant inflatable mat or simply chill out onboard and soak in the laid back ambience. A delicious seafood lunch is provided along with a selection of complimentary beverages including organic wines and local craft beers.
This magical day out concludes with a short ferry ride back to Townsville.
- Non-seafood lunch options available. Please mention at time of booking.
- Guests may choose to extend their time on Magnetic Island and return to Townsville on an alternate day, or even upgrade to flying both ways. Please inquire at time of booking.
- 30 minute scenic helicopter flight ex Townsville to Magnetic Island showcasing fringing reefs, pristine beaches and secluded bays
- Vehicle transfer from Landing Site to Nelly Bay Marina
- A personal and intimate four hour, small group (max 12 guests) sailing experience aboard “Pilgrim”, a luxury 58-foot sailing yacht
- Sail the island coastline for around 1 hour before dropping anchor in a secluded bay – generally Arthur Bay, Florence Bay or Radical Bay as chosen by the Pilgrim crew on the day
- Have a go at steering the yacht or learn a little about sailing from your friendly, knowledgeable Pilgrim crew
- Dinghy ride to the beach while at anchor (optional)
- Chance sightings of migrating Humpback Whales (Jul-Sep), Kites, Sea-Eagles, Turtles, colourful Reef Fish and maybe even a Dugong
- Use of stinger suits and giant inflatable mat
- Delicious seafood lunch including locally caught prawns & bugs and an antipasto platter served with fresh baguette (non-seafood options available on request)
- Enjoy complimentary Tamburlaine organic wines, local premium beers and soft drinks both during lunch and on the sail home
- Complimentary tea, coffee and water (still and sparkling)
- BONUS! Luxurious Pilgrim branded Turkish Towels & sailing wine glasses – the perfect souvenirs and yours to keep!
- Environmentally-friendly sunscreen
- Sealink Ferry ticket from Magnetic Island return to Townsville (Breakwater Terminal) – approx. 20 minutes travel time
Total tour duration: approx. 7 hours.
Tour available Friday, Saturday and Sunday (and Wednesday during school holidays) subject to demand and aircraft / vessel availability.
08:30 Make own way to reception at The Ville Resort-Casino, Sir Leslie Thiess Drive, Townsville. Wait in air-conditioned comfort to be met by your pilot.
09:00 Helicopter departs The Ville
09:30 Helicopter arrives Magnetic Island (Nelly Bay)
Vehicle transfer from Heli Pad to Pilgrim Sailing
10:00 Board Pilgrim, Magnetic Island Marina, Nelly Bay
10:15 Pilgrim departs
4 hours sailing experience including lunch
14:15 Pilgrim returns to Nelly Bay Marina
15:00 Sealink Ferry departs Magnetic Island for Townsville (20 mins)
15:20 Arrive Townsville (Breakwater Terminal) – 6 minute (550m) walk back to The Ville.
Ample free parking is available at The Ville, or limited paid parking at the Sealink Ferry Terminal. Approx. $8 per 24 hours, subject to change.
MAGNETIC ISLAND SCENIC FLIGHT & SAILING
30 minute scenic flight & 4 hour lunchtime sail
Depart Townsville: 09:00
Arrive Townsville: 15:20
All tickets $849pp (minimum 2 passengers)Enquire Now
WHAT TO BRING
We suggest packing a small soft sided bag as if you were going to the beach for the day, including:
- Swimming costume
- Hat, sunglasses, towel, sunscreen (SPF 50+ recommended)
- A dry change of clothes including a jacket in winter
- All helicopter pricing is per seat, independent of age.
- Passengers 3 years and older must occupy their own seat.
- Routinely one (1) infant (under 3 years of age) is permitted per flight and may travel free of charge when seated on a parent’s/guardians lap with a company provided infant seat belt restraint. If travelling with more than one infant please contact us to discuss.
- Payload limits apply to all aircraft. Accurate individual passenger body weights are required at time of booking.
- Maximum individual seat weight limit of 130kg applies.